Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Old & in the Way

Old and in the WayOld and in the Way was a a bluegrass supergroup in the early 1970's: David Grisman, Vassar Clements, Peter Rowan, John Kahn, and Jerry Garcia. Their name was taken from a Grisman song:
Old and in the way
That's what I heard him say
They used to heed the words he said
But that was yesterday
Coal will turn to gray
And youth will fade away
They'll never care about you
Cause you're old and in the way
I was thinking about this lament the other day as I thought about approaching another birthday. Then, as I was thinking about how it had been thirty years since I first heard those words and it never occurred to me then I might get old and much less, in the way, I had an epiphany of sorts.

I may be getting "old and in the way" but I plan to keep getting older and staying in the way for a long time. Those expecting me to step aside easily will be disappointed; further, they can kiss my arse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADOO!!!

Anonymous said...

PS.

Dad, you showed me the Way.
When I wasn't able,
You made my Way.
Sometimes, you paid my Way,
But you will never, ever,
EVER, EVER, EVER,
Be in my Way.

*But you are kinda old. ;)