Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Tomatoes

Last spring as I was setting out my tomato plants, our neighbor, Mrs. Sims, told me that the previous year the neighborhood squirrels had pulled all her tomatoes off their vines, ruining her crop. After living in her house for over 50 years she had "never seen anything like it."MrsSims

Warned, I planted many more plants than really necessary thinking I would just produce more tomatoes than the squirrels would care to eat. I was wrong. They took almost all of them. From about 20 vines I think I beat the squirrels to about three tomatoes.

Meanwhile Mrs. Sims' nephews surprised her one week-end with the homemake cage pictured above. GardenAs a result her three plants produced enough for her to give me some of her extras. I vowed this year would be different.

This spring I completed a cage of my own, 16 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 7 feet high. Tim "The Toolman" Taylor would be proud. As I planted late, my tomatoes are just coming in. So far the squirrels have not figured out how to get in.Punk Squirrels

The tomatoes sure taste good, almost as good as outsmarting those little punks. I snapped a picture of them trying to figure out what to do next.


Post Script - Wednesday, July 20th, 10:39 A.M.

DAMN BIRDS !!
DamnBirds

4 comments:

malindi said...

you know, for a former Chair of the North Carolina Chapter of the Sierra Club, you certainly are bashing wildlife!

maybe they're trying to tell you to go buy some corn on the cob & birdseed - if you don't feed them, they'll feed themselves.

Bibb said...

Point well made.

I'll put out some bird feed (I'm sure the squirrels will get their share) ASAP.

Maybe some water too.

malindi said...

that's my tree hugger!

Anonymous said...

Once squirrels get a taste for tomatoes they will keep eating them. I've tried feeding and giving them water and they still ate the tomatoes. Now I let them have three choices.
1. Stay Away
2. Get into the live trap & drop them off at work (a ride along)
3. Pellet Rifle
Number 3 works the best on these rodents.