Monday, February 07, 2005

Doc Watson

Doc Watson

Last Saturday night I saw and heard Doc Watson at the Lyric Theatre in Blacksburg. Mr. Watson, shown here a couple of years ago at Merlefest with his grandson Richard, will be 82 years old this March 3rd.

For those of you who might not have heard of Mr. Watson, he invented and perfected the guitar style know as flatpicking in the 1950's. His influence on country, folk, and bluegrass music is wide and deep. He is a Recipient of the National Medal of Arts, a National Heritage Fellowship and seven Grammy Awards, including a recent one for Lifetime Achievement. He is a living legend.

I remember seeing him almost 20 years ago and thinking then I might not get very many chances to hear him play again. I underestimated his longevity, his continued ability to play at a high level, and his willingness to continue to tour.

I can only hope when I am his age I will be doing anything as well as the playing and singing he shared with us Saturday night.

No comments: