Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Dr. Julian Temple Edwards

My daughter took me to task yesterday for not having enough photographs in my posts. Her point was well taken. Most of the blogs I like are much more graphic than mine, in more ways than one. So here is a photo I treasure, of one of her great, great grandfathers, Dr. Julian Temple Edwards.

I believe the photo was taken when he was in his late teens or early 20's, about the time of the War of the Rebellion.

Dr. Julian was born in 1841 and died a few months before my father was born in 1917. As he is leaning on his right forearm, which caught a bullet in July 1863 ending his days as a private in the Confederate calvery, I think this photo was taken before the war. Surely the pose has a pre-war swagger.

However, the receeding hairline may indicate and older, post-war Julian.

He, and his father Dr. Lemuel Edwards, will figure prominantly in my history project.

No comments: